Search This Blog

Monday, July 5, 2010

Paralysis by Analysis


Every once in a while, I think too much. When I think too much, I cannot be fully present in the moment. And when an artist is not present in the moment, art just does not happen.

Lately I am suffering from paralysis by analysis. Before I start to paint, I find myself planning the painting, I envision how I want it to look, instead of just trusting that my brush will find its way. When I practice excessive planning in my art, nothing goes according to plan!

Part of the problem may be related to my recent bout with ADD. Not being able to concentrate, I find I actually overcompensate by thinking too much about painting.

So today, I plan to reverse that trend, and just endeavor to stay in the moment. Things happen in life moment by moment. And paintings happen in just this one little moment in the present.


No comments: