Search This Blog

Thursday, July 8, 2010

The Economy and Art


Greetings to all,

The economy has hit everyone so hard. As a result of the lack of jobs, pay cuts, and lay offs, people are reluctant to buy artwork. This is totally understandable! After all, you cannot eat, wear, or sleep under art. Here is my take on the economy and art sales.

But I continue to paint, nonetheless. For me, making art is an essential part of my being. Without the luxury I have to make art, I would lose a part of my being.

So, I continue to build my body of work during these hard times. Perhaps I will approach a gallery. Perhaps not. But building my body of work is actually a blessing in disguise. Having more work for future clients to choose from is important.

I have taken a bold move to have a buy two, get one free sale for prints and greeting cards. I debated whether or not to do this, since I have been taught not to discount art. I will not compromise the pricing of original art, but since prints and cards are not original work, I feel comfortable with my summer sale.

Do consider art for gifts - espcially now! When so many people are scrimping and saving, a gift of art is, indeed, a luxury to bestow upon a friend. And for the cost of a nice dinner out for two, you can purchase one of my original pieces of art.

Thank you for your continued support, and many wishes for better times ahead!

Cathy Harville, nature artist

No comments: