Search This Blog

Monday, May 17, 2010

Summertime = Quiet Time

It has been a busy spring. In addition to a studio show, finishing my book, a Mill event, and a few charity shows, I have been hospitalized for a relapse in bipolar disorder, as well as chest pain (my heart checked out fine!). For a while, it was a rough patch.

Now, with all the shows behind me, I can relax a bit and paint. Boating season offers a respite from the busy Mill weekends. Going out on our boat offers solitude, time to think, and time to rest. While kayaking, compositions spring forth, and my sketch book fills up.

I have been reading a book about "productive obsessing" by Eric Maisel. He is the author of numerous books on the subjects of creativity and the mind, and how we can think ourselves into greatness. Despite the "quiet" of the summer, my mind is working on percolating the next big project. Some candidates include: expanding my book, and finding a less costly route for publishing; filling two beautiful 12x16 frames I acquired this weekend (for a song, from a kind Mill merchant); working big, as in 24X36 size; using rice paper and tissue paper to create some semi-abstract florals; and finally, continuing to experiment with various color palettes.

Obviously, I need some focus! But I have learned that I need to let my mind obsess things into being. So, I remain quiet as I finish a few canvases I have been working on, including the two 12X16's! I write in my art journal daily, and sketch crazy ideas. I play with small canvases, and try new application techniques and mediums. I mess up a lot, but I also learn a lot.

So to those of you who are obsessing, try productive obsessing. It is far more rewarding, non-anxiety producing, and kind of fun, like daydreaming about cool stuff. Let me know what your mind come up with!

Artfully yours,

Cathy Harville


2 comments:

beckielboo said...

Hi Cathy, I found one of your paintings 1.5 years ago when I first started following online art.

Today, I re-found you through a click-back on Painters Keys. Yeah! Lucky me!

I've spent the last hour looking over everything I could find. You paint in the wonderful bright colors I love the most.

I do not have one of your paintings and am currently in a "buying-freeze"! All to familiar I'm afraid!

I will be a faithful follower and enjoy your work online for now.

Nice to find you,
beckielboo (Beckie Saar Leone)

beckielboo said...

AND -
I sent my comment under an email address I seldom (or do not) use. I have corrected my email to reflect my current account.

Beckie