Search This Blog

Friday, January 8, 2010

Observation


I often sit in my kayak for hours, just watching the grasses, water and trees. I like to feel the sun, the breeze, and watch nature as it moves through the day. Whenever I paint river grasses, and reflections in the murky water, they look nothing like the photograph. In fact, when viewers of my work say that it looks like a photograph, I shudder in silence, and sheepishly say thank you. Then I go to the ladies room to vomit.

But most people say - "I love your colors", and then they keep looking, searching for words to describe what they see. At this point I tell them that I try to capture the "aliveness" of the water and grasses, and how they move and interact. Often they get it. Sometimes not, and they ask, "why is the water purple?". Another session in the ladies room, losing my lunch!

All kidding aside, I love to paint with a reference photo nearby, just in case my brain needs a refresher in real life. Then I go back into "Cathy's world", to paint what my heart sees and feels.I rarely look at the photo while I am painting. And my heart rarely disappoints me!

Artfully yours,
Cathy Harville

No comments: