Search This Blog

Friday, January 29, 2010

Exposure


As an emerging artist, I feel a bit like a butterfly that can't quite get her wings to open. I know people like my artwork, because I sell quite a bit of it, and I have never had anything returned, which seems like a miracle to me. However, people can only buy what they see, and to see something, they have to be at a certain place and at a given time. Like real estate, it is all about location, location, location.

To gain a better location, and more exposure, I moved my studio to a better location at the Mill. I do a lot of inexpensive marketing - cards, brochures, signs for shows at my studio, even refrigerator magnets and bookmarks (which at a big hit!). I recently placed some prints in a local frame shop, and have already seen some action. Sales pros say it takes 5-7 "impressions" for people to buy. I think it varies greatly. I have had people literally rip things off the wall to purchase, while others come back several times before they pull the trigger.

Still, it is a big world, with lots of places to spend money, and thousands of artists vying for a piece of the pie. I think exposure is critical to success - shows, open studios, parties, art leagues, charity events,"pity paintings" - the list of exposure opportunities is endless. And while moving paintings all over the place to gain exposure is, at times, a nuisance, eventually, people will know who you are.

While I don't intentionally use gimmicks, I have inadvertently used them. I dyed my graying hair red, with blonde highlights, and subsequently, people remember me, especially if it comes out a bit magenta! I use lots of texture when I paint, and intense color. I am locally known for my unusual color choices (which don't seem so unusual to me). If I produce a work that is not wild with color, people are concerned. (I have been asked if I was depressed when I painted a painting in "normal" colors! I attached the painting, which is pretty tame, compared to what I normally do.)

The biggest barriers to exposure that I face, is not having gallery representation (which I admittedly, I have not sought out), and that I cannot keep my studio open every weekend and holidays for visitors to the Mill. Having said that, my short hours keep me sane, and not having to "produce" for a gallery frees me up to really experiment and have fun.

I like exposure in small doses. And I am very patient. I know someday, my wings will open, and I will take flight. It is only a matter of time.
Artfully yours,

Cathy Harville

www.harvilleart.com

No comments: