Search This Blog

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Second shot

Okay, I am the world's worse blogger! But I am giving it a second shot. My goal is to post at least once a week, then I will go from there.

Things are good. I am building up inventory, and have participated in four charity events recently, which always does the soul good. Although sales are not stellar, people are enjoying my artwork, and I continue to meet really interesting folks.

At the Mill, we have been struggling with attracting attention to events. So I want to talk about signage. Signs are so important in our lives. We need highway signs, rest room door signs, signs to identify restaurants and merchants, and street numbers.

Signs are all around us. Sometimes, signs get lost in the fray - realty signs, and the homemade staked signs along the road.

Savage Mill is composed of 11 interconnected buildings, with a confusing, but fun, pedestrian flow, and a handicap access that defies logic. It is because of the Mill's historic status and age, that it is a maze. Many people welcome the wandering nature of this really cool place, and some people just get frustrated. And then there are the tavern drinkers, who laughingly go in circles, and forget which lot they parked the car in.

The artists at the Mill struggle with being found - literally! We are off in the catacombs of the building. Although we all have signs that can be read from miles away, people are just so distratced by all the information around them, that the signs go unnoticed. Perhaps a lighthouse would attract attention. Personally, I have been thinking about a neon sign. I may also hang a second shingle.

So if you manage to get to Mill, I only have one suggestion - prepare to spend some time and get lost. And have fun. Because around each corner is something new and interesting.

Artfully yours,

Cathy Harville

No comments: