Search This Blog

Sunday, April 27, 2008

The circle of life - in memory of Glen Spaid

This has been a sad week. The founder of my husband's company passed away. He was loved by many, and he enriched so many lives in so many ways.

I just want to take the time to celebrate Glen Spaid's memory. An avid fisherman, he took my husband on many trips in the Chesapeake Bay, on the "Ace of Spaids". Glen always caught the largest fish! Just last weekend, he went fishing twice with friends. Even at 80 years of age, he came into the office, and talked with many employees, joking around, and spreading his happiness for life. He went out doing what he loved.

I met him when my husband first started working at the company, more than 23 years ago. He and his wife, Alma, took us out to dinner. Glen always made us feel at ease, and always had a smile on his face.

Last fall, he and Alma bought two of my paintings at a little show I had in West Annapolis. I was just so honored to have them come out on such a rainy night. Last evening, Alma commented how my artwork makes her smile when she looks at it everyday. I cried at the notion that I could bring happiness to others, by marks and strokes on paper. It made me realize that we all have the capacity to touch each other in ways that are a uniquely human experience. What we say and do ultimately has so much power to make someone smile, laugh, or cry.

Funerals give us the opportunity to see people we haven't seen in a while. Although the occasion is somber, the sharing of stories and memories helps to ease the pain. Kids grow tall; we all get gray hair; we all are a bit older, and can't help but think that this is our opportunity to make a difference in the world. It also shows us that we really need each other, and how important it is to "just be there" for someone, when life throws us challenges.

Glen and Alma's five capable children, and grandchildren now run the company. My sincerest sympathy goes out to all of them and their family, as they come to grips with his unexpected departure. I hope they all know that many people are here to help them through all of this. My husband is working hard at the office, to help out as best he can - and I will continue painting, perhaps to bring a smile to someone's life. I am humbled by the circle of life. And with each passing, the realization of how precious life is really hits home.

Bless everyone with love and happiness, Cathy

No comments: