Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Knowing When to Stop and Start


From my personal experience, being an artist is all about starting and stopping. The creative urge is rather unpredictable. For months, I can be on a creative rampage, with long, non-stop sessions of painting and creating. Then, it is as if a famine strikes, or a drought. I sit down, and 15 minutes later, it is time to stop.

I have been going through a blocked period for about two months now. At first, it was scary, as I questioned whether I would be able to complete another painting. Evidence shows that yes, I have finished several paintings, even during this "dry" spell, although not as many as I had several months ago.

Later, it just became annoying, to sit down, and with the concentration of a fruit fly, try to complete any portion of a painting. I was learning that it is important to know when to stop. Creatvity cannot be forced. I read recently that Leonardo DaVinci often just sat for hours, just thinking and reflecting. (It used to drive his patrons crazy.) Picasso went through a period of changing mediums daily, and even made prints of fishbones left from dinner.

I learned that every artist goes through changes in creativeness, and, while frightening, it is a natural process. Lately, I feel like I have painted every reference photo I have. While this is not true, it feels true, at the time. But one look in my reference photo drawer shows me otherwise!

I have learned that being an artist is not a 9-5 proposition. We are not trained dolphins that can create on demand. There has to be passion present, and a strong desire to create. And all of this has to be in time with my inner muse, who, some days it seems, doesn't want to paint anything.

And that is okay. Being a full time artist doesn't mean painting full time. It just means spending your time "being" an artist. I am an artist when I make greeting cards, take a nap, or go kayaking. I am an artist all the time, no matter what I happen to be doing at a given moment.

So as I struggle with this block, I am mindful to be kind to myself, and realize that even the great Leonardo DaVinci has times of creative despair. It is hard to believe, but on his deathbed, DaVinci lamented over unfinished projects. I expect that I shall do the same!

Artfully yours,

Cathy Harville

No comments: