Search This Blog

Friday, July 3, 2009

Managing


I spent many years as a manager for a large company, including having to manage myself when my boss was preoccupied with various "things".

Those experiences helped me to learn to do the tasks that I do best, and leave the rest to the folks who reported to me,

In making art, we have to do it all - shop, keep records, pay taxes, update websites, advertise, and make art - paint, frame, fix, and hang.

I have embraced being the manager of myself. After all, who knows me better? I do solicit lots of consultations from willing artists, and it is nice to have such a collegial atmosphere to keep me going.

I find that while I am framing, or cleaning, or working on advertising, my subconscious works on the next painting; or figures out what to change on a piece on my easel. And I have also found that when I get lazy - not wanting to organize my studio, for example - I set a small goal, with painting as a reward. Otherwise, my husband would have no clean underwear!

Sometimes I wish I had an agent. But if I did, I would never have learned as much as I have. And, I would miss out on so many life lessons.

Artfully yours,

Cathy Harville

No comments: